Last week McConnell placed the AHCA on a fast track. Here is the schedule.
The Senate GOP’s plan is to pass this bill FAST—by June 30. Enough time to fight, no time to spare.
Here are the steps
- GOP is writing the bill now, in close touch with CBO. Their goal: send it to CBO for official score between now and Tue, unseen by public
- In other words, negotiations are nearly wrapped up on what’s actually in their bill. What’s leaking out is awful. But the bill is secret.
- They get it back from the CBO with official score ~2 weeks later—& fast-track it to Senate passage w/privileged status, ie no filibuster.
- The week of June 26, the score will come out, the bill will be made public, the public will scream, and they’ll grit teeth & pass it
- NO hearings w/ experts & affected witnesses, NO committee markups, NO consultation with Dems, NO town halls or public forums—undemocratic
Senate learned their lesson from the House: silence is golden. Attention is the enemy.
Here’s how we meet this moment and kill TrumpCare.
- Senators are telling me that their phones have returned to normal, pre-Trump levels. A few dozen calls a day. That must end. The number to call Congress is 202-224-3121. Save the 202-224-3121 in your phone as a contact. Put it as a favorite. Say “Hey Siri, remind me to call Congress at 10am on weekdays.”
- Don’t just call Congress—recruit callers. Type “Friends in Tennessee” into Facebook. You’ll get a list. Ask ’em to call Sen. Alexander. Your friends in TN WV LA ME TN AR AZ CO SC NV AK & OH miss you! Don’t neglect them! Get in touch & ask ’em to call Congress re Trumpcare
It’s GREAT to call Congress and leave your opinion. Senate offices circulate call tallies every day. But calls can go even further: When you call a Senate office, ask to speak to the relevant Health Legislative Assistant. Here is a link to all of the Health Legislative assistants.
When you get through, explain that you’re a constituent and you have grave concerns about how the bill will affect you. Then explain WHY. These staffers are human beings. They work on health care because they care about health. Even if their bosses don’t. Tell your story. What you want is for health staffers to be telling their bosses that they’ve spent all day with the phone from freaked-out constituents
Incidentally, it’s also worth EMAILING the legislative assistants w/personal notes. Here’s how to figure out Hill staff email addresses If I, Ben Wikler, worked for Sen. Murkowski, (I don’t; Chelsea Holt is her health LA), I’d be email@example.com.
To start with do these and all of the upcoming tweetsheets. Schedule the links via any of the scheduling programs. And do them often.
BUT MOST IMPORTANT, CALL YOUR SENATORS EVERY DAY YOURSELF. Tweets are really helpful but calls mean more.
Here you go for today.
- CALL every day.
- Ask for health staffers.
- Email them, too.